Re: LF: vlfrx tools question

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: vlfrx tools question
From: Terry G0EZY <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 08:06:51 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Paul - thanks for advice. Apologies to others as this is a bit OT.

Ntp is now running from the gps. However, gpsd still required additional commands to work.

This command:

    sudo gpsd -bnN -D3 /dev/ttyACM0

gave error messages about: " can't bind to IPv4 port gpsd, Address already in use"

While looking on other ntp websites, I saw a note that if using Raspbian Jessie or later, a systemd service (installed by gpsd) should be disabled as it interferes with manually run gpsd instances. After giving the commands:

    sudo systemctl stop gpsd.socket
    sudo systemctl disable gpsd.socket

Then command:

sudo gpsd -bnN -D3 /dev/ttyACM0

runs without error, giving various launching and listening INFO messages from gpsd and the wanted result shows in ntpq.

Now I know the system can work, I'm hoping I can avoid all this procedure each time by using an appropriate config file so that gpsd/ntp can be initiated to run correctly in the background at boot up?

Just for info, I am running Raspbian Jessie Lite on a RaPi3 with an Octosound. vlfrx tools is installed and working.

73 Terry