Re: VLF: Carrier on 3675.005 Hz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: Carrier on 3675.005 Hz
From: Paul Nicholson <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2017 13:39:42 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; q=dns/txt; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=abelian.org ; s=default; h=Content-Transfer-Encoding:Content-Type:In-Reply-To: MIME-Version:Date:Message-ID:From:References:To:Subject:Sender:Reply-To:Cc: Content-ID:Content-Description:Resent-Date:Resent-From:Resent-Sender: Resent-To:Resent-Cc:Resent-Message-ID:List-Id:List-Help:List-Unsubscribe: List-Subscribe:List-Post:List-Owner:List-Archive; bh=NvZR45SYlfdfwmYYHJVcg1fNkE7aSDnaFRzbDBwIf18=; b=iDZnnMTjewcsdmgtH+OUFMrCsZ kaPsd0XEyaLLveHJdOF0IPiLqeLNa6sbbTKYz5jrJ/6NWeCUGvI0muEw39qvEzt5zZJQzcSUUBE/Y 6Uf4REMX798yZnhgvMcg2pBTadLhdhbcgIKX/yfTlNI/BauenV5PvjoNNwBaS5sD3iTU=;
Sender: [email protected]

I'm measuring about 0.016 fT daytime, 0.045 fT nighttime.

Daytime signal phase leads the night phase by about 67 degrees.

Combining and normalising day/night signals and excluding
the terminator periods gives

 http://abelian.org/vlf/tmp/170809a.gif

Still not significant, only about 3.5 sigma, 10.9 dB S/N
in 1.13 uHz.

> Seems the result is even poorer than on 2.97 kHz?

Probably just because I'm not using the E-field.

> i would try some first EbNaut on that 82 km band over
> to DL0AO in 226 km.

Yes, if the S/N is good enough at DL0A0.  Not much use continuing
with carrier when I only have half a receiver.

This afternoon I'll do some more work on the new E-field rx.
Running side-by-side comparison with the old rx.

I've been working on the new rx for over 2 years but the system
noise is still consistently 0.1 dB worse than the existing rx.
The front-end noise of the new rx is lower but the bandwidth is
wider.  The extra signal is raising the noise floor slightly
due to a tiny amount of distortion in the line driver and
isolating transformers.  On the test bench the new rx does very
well: very low noise and low distortion.  But with the full
signal from the antenna there is enough mixing to slightly raise
the noise floor.   I just need that 0.1 dB and also to cure some
mechanical noises (microphonics) when the wind blows.

PS, the new rx also also covers 137 kHz!

--
Paul Nicholson