Re: LF: Re[2]: LF: Idiot's guide to receiving Ebnaut? - Tutorial part2

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re[2]: LF: Idiot's guide to receiving Ebnaut? - Tutorial part2
From: Wolfgang Büscher <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2016 01:13:32 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Am 27.10.2016 um 21:31 schrieb Paul Nicholson:

I have used the Trimble Thunderbolt with its fixed
10uS pulse.  It worked (vlfrx-tools, M-Audio 192) but
timing jitter improved after a pulse stretcher increased
the width to 1mS.  As Andy says, the 10uS pulse energy
was a bit low giving poor S/N and a jittery centroid of
the smoothed pulse.

Now I use a Ublox for timing VLF reception and this works
fine.  The Thunderbolt is used for calibration and as a
reference for comparing my growing collection of GPSDOs.

I'll be interested to see Wolf's comparison of edge
and centroid timing.  I've never had any luck with
edge timing.

I compared both now, and measured the standard deviation in the GPS sync pulse timing.
Used an E-MU 0202 at 192 kSamples/second.
Test result:
- 100 ms pulses, using *edge* detection (in the fourfold interpolated, windowed-sinc filtered signal):
   standard deviation about 40 to 50 ns/second

- 10 us pulses, using *centroid* detection (also with fourfold interpolation):
   standard deviation a very respectable 25 ns/second.

The interpolated waveform of what used to be a 10-us-pulse is here:
http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/t/10us_pulse_EMU0202_192kS_interpolated.png
(the green line in the center marks the length of a sample *from the soundcard*, the orange segments are interpolated).

BUT...
After reducing the sampling rate from 192 to 48 kHz :
  - standard deviation 200 ns for the edge-detection method

- standard deviation 600 ns for the centroid method, reasons not understood yet (this may be a bug, or it may be caused by using integer array indices as 'x' coordinate for the centroid detection area. I will refine the algorithm for these 'very short' pulses by using polynominal interpolation for the centroid edges as well.
  That would be a fairer comparison.)

Even with the above restrictions, 10 us sync pulses seem to be ok, if the soundcard uses a good delta-sigmal ADC (which results an almost ideal low-pass filter and thus the text-book pulse response as in the screenshot linked above).

So, short answer for Jim:
You can use the Thunderbolt E's 10-microsecond sync pulses as they are, no need to shape or stretch them. I will upload a new version of SL soon, but first I will try to improve the pulse timing for lower sampling rates.

Cheers,
  Wolf .
(back in "MEZ" / CET now - farewall, nice daylight-saving time.. sigh.. !)