Re: LF: 477.7 kHz CW

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: 477.7 kHz CW
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2016 00:22:18 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Roelof, this current event is a very different kind of event to the usual CME or Solar hole high-speed flow. There does not seem to be any "dense" stream of plasma, but the Solar wind velocity has incresed from 300km/sec to 600km/sec......but it seems there are not a lot of ions/electrons around. The Kyoto Dst plunged (based on earth bound magnetometers) but the Colorado estimate based on Ace Solar wind data hardly changed  (thought the data may not be reliable at present) Also the plunge to -75nT shown on Kyoto was followed by a steep rise (recovery in less than 24 hours which is quite unusual). I am thinking this might mean that there was little hot-electron precipitation from this event (normally 6 hours of Kp=6 peaking 7 would depress the Dst for 10 days or more.)  You have probably noticed the upward movement of the Dst before the steep fall in normal CME events.....there is no sign of this. I am led to believe that there has been little precipitation of hot electrons into the ionoshere, and it would seem that reports confirm that. I did forget to look at the direction of the IMF.

I wonder if the CME style event where there is an upward movement in the Dst (possibly caused by positive ion trapping in the ring current) actually couses electons to be withdrawn from the ionosphere. The literature states that there is a two was exchane of ions and electrons between the ionospher and the ring currents. This "vacuum cleaner" effect prior to the onset of electron precipitation might explain your observation of inproved conditions?

Fascinating stuff :-))

Alan
G3NYK