Re: ULF: A new step on the large ULF coil...

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: ULF: A new step on the large ULF coil...
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 22:28:47 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi ULF,

In the past days i wound the rest of the available enameled cu wire onto the coil, now that's 4 kg of wire. This reduced the resonance frequency (when using a capacitor which has a C that is equivalent to the antennas C) again, from 3.667 kHz down to 3.537 kHz (so L must be 4.05 H).
Today i took the coil on the roof and switched it in series to the 'small' coil that i use for 6.47 kHz (must be 1.2 H). I had clearly expected that this will reduce the resonance frequency to 2.97 kHz and even below. But obviously i am not a friend of calculations :-)
I just thought "Oh well it's just a decrease of 567 Hz that i need. The coil that is fine for 6.47 kHz will do that easily". But then i found that the resonance frequency just dropped to 3.185 kHz. So the series L seems to be 5 H, which is still to low :-/
Now the coil is back in the office, further wire is ordered. The next experiment will be delayed by two weeks or so. More time for 6.47 kHz tests :-)
A needless effort one can think but it was interesting to check the actual resonance and i enjoyed the nice wx during the afternoon.
And BTW i saw that i can easily run > 200 mA on that frequency. 200 mA at 3185 Hz and 5 H means 20 kV which is an ERP increase of  about 12 dB relative to my 31 km distance ULF experiment :-) The ERP at 20 kV would be 4 uW then.

Soon more on that project...

73, Stefan

PS: Of course i know that i can couple the two coils and will get more L then. But this would be a mechanically and electrically instable construction.