Re: LF: 33 Hz QRM

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 33 Hz QRM
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 20:53:14 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
The 16 2/3 Hz trace is visible on my VLF remote grabber at http://www.iup.uni-heidelberg.de/schaefer_vlf/DK7FC_VLF_Grabber2.html About 35 dB SNR in 3.8 mHz, to be improved.
Although the voltage for the trains is just 15 kV here. I'm watching on the H field though. The distance to the next train line is about 4 km.

73, Stefan

Am 17.03.2016 16:37, schrieb PA7EY:
I suppose 16 2/3 is correct (16 1/3 x 3 = 49), according to my information, they actually use 16.7 in some places these days.

73 Ulrich PA7EY

Hello John, Johan, LF

16 2/3 Hz should probably be 16 1/3 Hz, one third of 50 Hz as John pointed out.

Here in OH-land we use 50 Hz for the railways but during my EE studies, the SM-land railway QRG was also mentioned for two reasons (hope I remember this right now, it was about 25 years ago...):

- A lower frequency was selected to minimize the voltage drop caused by the series inductance formed by the long overhead lines supplying the locomotive.

- Initially 16 1/3 Hz was generated in rotary converters, for example a 6-pole 50 Hz motor would drive a two pole generator which gives the required step-down. Rotary converters need maintenance and so this system was later replaced by non-mechanical devices such as cyclo-converters or other early ways of electronic frequency converters that supposedly require less maintenance. In fact,  I think this was the main reason for bringing up this subject in school.

BR

Paul-Henrik, OH1LSQ

Quoting Andy Talbot <[email protected]>:

Is that to minimise skin loss in steel track ?

UK Third rail is, of course, DC, and I once spent an idle moment
calculating the loss if 50Hz AC were to be used with magnetic iron
conductors.  I think I came to the conclusion a 1MW train could probably
travel a few hundred metres before it lost its power supply.

andy  G4JNT