Re: LF: 33 Hz QRM

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: 33 Hz QRM
From: David Hine <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 10:19:01 +0000 (UTC)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.co.uk; s=s2048; t=1459246797; bh=1TdKWIpHs4P9UvWHXIO194nJLJYmrallQcPehAQJX5s=; h=Date:From:Reply-To:To:In-Reply-To:References:Subject:From:Subject; b=gTFlsRgyeRB5i+CCcLf0GKtKw0eGxk6T7Wg1d6F2HHbv+VGVc002wJr/0VDsO/56NUFJRacUbL6y+LWEqC/Okvcrv+ZZDscX+bFg1chZp+3QhKDmo7kLUI9iPcOoxjO3GMit9sYiquQI94m4aqvpB84iXXJdt1IHijPGnpL2KNW2juE31PkTRvAU1eNgGEnCn2S+bfIMXDO8IQu/GSd3XAy7JzlC+/pJY7YH/pXZYyIzDq+BJSLKWwljam0+YanOOJY62KkX+rqP9afMIyLxdxPoXYiMB2w9v2BsNIeXzTfTFUeltbF04DTiq357WoW5F9dHenabnBVZnas3poEwqQ==
Sender: [email protected]
Hi, A very interesting article. The London Underground (Metro) uses a low voltage 4 rail DC system. The 2 'live rails are  balanced + and - with regard to the running rails. This system is a 'throw-back' from the days of DC motors and this system reduces corrosion causing currents to flow in the running rails and other track equipment. There is a lot to be said for the self contained diesel units that require no external power supplies with all that infrastructure. Imagine how useless the electric system would be in times of extreme weather or disasters, man made or natural.
 The same applies to modern digital radio communications (with all its necessary infrastructure and thousands of tiny transmitters) when compared to the old Long Wave AM broadcasting, where a single large transmitter covers a whole continent. Nowadays 'progress' always results in over-complicated and 'fragile' systems that fail too easily when 'nasty things happen'.
With very kind regards, Dave.