Re: LF: EbNaut from Todmorden

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: EbNaut from Todmorden
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 21:02:14 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Paul,

Am 17.03.2016 19:06, schrieb Paul Nicholson:
Also was inspired by something that Andy posted recently
about PAs powered from rectified mains.  Somewhere in the shed
there's a mains isolating transformer and a nice variac.
Same here, all my large PAs are using a H bridge switching at 320V directly. I can recommend the IRFP460A. Also my large PA from the VLF kite experiments were from that design. There is did not use a ferrite transformer. I took an isolated primary winding on the large coil, you remember.

I've a vague recollection that someone on the list said that
you don't need an NoV for an earth antenna?  Can anyone recall?
It's Roger / G3XBM who should know more details.

I could run a wire for a km across the moors and terminate it
in a bog.  There's an industrial audio amplifier in the shed
which is good for 4kW.   Such a long earth loop would need
quite a high driving voltage.  Also in the shed is a big toroidal
transformer, about 20cm diameter by 10cm thick, which might
make a hefty audio transformer if the material is up to it.
Just try it, even if the results could be ppor. It's a big fun, you know. Remember my earth antenna in the forst :-)

73, Stefan