RE: LF: MF powerful Beacon in Poland?

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: MF powerful Beacon in Poland?
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 22:16:17 +0000
Accept-language: nl-BE, en-GB, en-US
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Richard, Luis, all,

a horizontal dipole at low height (versus wavelength) is in theory an inefficient antenna. See http://www.strobbe.eu/on7yd/136ant/#HorDipole.

But:

1. "Low height" is less than a few % of the wavelength. At 7% of the wavelength the radiation resistance is already 10 Ohm. On 136kHz this 7% is an unrealistic 150m, on 475kHz it is "only" 44m! At a height of 100m (as suggested by Richard) the radiation resistance on 475kHz will rise to 40 Ohm!

2. The better (more conductive) the soil the worse a low horizontal dipole will be. Or the other way arround: the worse the soil the better the antenna! So in certain conditions a horizontal dipole at a height of 20m or more might be working pretty well on 475kHz.

As often there is only one way to know: try it ;-)

73, Rik  ON7YD - OR7T