Re: [rsgb_lf_group] Re: LF: DL-SWL

To: [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: Re: [rsgb_lf_group] Re: LF: DL-SWL
From: John Andrews <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 15:02:42 -0500
Sender: [email protected]
Andy,

It's still alive, but infrequently used. DL4YHF did a GUI version of the original command-line program. It can be found at:
http://www.qsl.net/d/dl4yhf/wolf/index.html

I just spent an afternoon/evening running it on January 1. Have to keep the thing alive. Received a half-dozen reports from the eastern U.S. and Canada. Didn't bother to publicize it here, due to band conditions.

WOLF is of course, 10 bit/sec BPSK. A linear PA is recommended for preserving the nominal 40 Hz BW. This has limited the implementation, as has the need for an SSB exciter, though the latter are more common now, due to the popularity of WSPR. Curiously, the linear PA issue seems more important in EU than here in the U.S., where a number of people are using repurposed audio amplifiers for other modes. It's probably a power consumption thing, with higher prices on the EU side.

In any case, the minimum signal levels required are similar to QRSS60, and you have control over the 15 character text being sent. I've been involved with a couple of 2-way QSO's over the years. With 15 characters, you can design a reasonably terse format, but are not stuck with the predetermined requirements of some of the JT modes.

Anyway, if anyone wants a weak WOLF test signal, or advice, I'd be happy to help. My shack should be back in operating shape in a day or so, after some computer surgery.

John, W1TAG