Re: LF: DL-SWL

To: [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: DL-SWL
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 19:38:45 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=0BV+dwKB3r1JNvTBCx8QaJ8o61tdB8b/5YASAbqztT8=; b=suJvojAOjzDPYgh54sjopkKjKuAAPqrZWjzzPCYMVRJ2us98WVVKnShYzINA2cxAqy heovd0GRlzXdks88vvxWk7ENn76EwoPPKC84wAN6dV0BJMLrwTWHGrFg07y9/FTk7His SJDNDdWWjbYH0IB/I/3Y5Mzya45jlrAOZB8QC4mc+BW75CwbUzmgty16zM+c7on1PU4W 18L0PPnxlSzompcYFp4myNqFjh6CsulExKdPC4f5ZxiaHAQlVqGvr/tN1JQtbmrJNXZR rtKc1Q5nCg1BO9HIM6xUyb8T/+V7Yo31YzFg/QJdpznKM++JqfuggiULrm+GYU9QW7Mq b17A==
Sender: [email protected]
Indeed -
What happened to WOLF  (*) ?

I've just tried Googling (**) it and find practically no hits.  The data mode seems to have been used successfully  in the years around 2001 and on, for a bit, but has faded.   The URL I had for it is now gives the magic 404.  Didn't the first transatlantic contact on 137kHz use this mode?

I guess that as it used 10 baud  BPSK,  was considered too complicated for the average LF Op. to generate.   No one seems to use upconversion from audio, and few seem to be able to make simple PSK encoders.   Even for EBnaut, relays  are suggested as the means to reverse the phase (yes, truely !!).    I suppose, to be fair, 10 baud unfiltered BPSK from a high power transmitter is a bit unkind to other band users.

Andy  G4JNT

(*) Weak signal Operation at LF
(**) Other search engines are available - so it has been said.