Re: LF: Capacitive top hat question

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Capacitive top hat question
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2015 10:58:02 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
To all intents and purposes a short (in wavelengths) vertical
attached to an arrangement of horizontal wires is a simple
(capacitively) loaded vertical.

The horizontal part will radiate, especially if it has a vertical
component rising higher than the feedpoint, but most of that
radiation will be cancelled by its reflection in the ground.

Several unbelievers have tried using purely horizontal transmitting
antennas and have had poor results. The beauty of amateur radio is
that you can prove something to yourself, but it won't change the
laws of physics.

Of course, every electrically small Marconi that is not in free space
performs in a complex way, but the result of that complexity is small
compared to the predominent omnidirectional radiation from the
vertical section. There is very little difference between various
arrangements of capacity hat, so long as you follow the rule to put
up as much wire as possible, as high as possible and covering as much
ground as possible.

Mike, G3XDV