Re: LF: Capacitive top hat question

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Capacitive top hat question
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 17:29:10 -0000
Sender: [email protected]

When I used to visit the Radio Club in Liverpool in the late 50s we met in a church hall just off Queens drive. One local with topband mobile parked in the drive would fire up 10W of top band take out a tube from the rear of his A35 van, strike it and walk round the van. We got many "double-takes" from passers by ......it was a 15inch circular tube and he was holding it above his head like a halo :-))

Under the top wire it doesnt mean the horizonal wire is radiating but there will be a vertical field sufficient to strike the tube to near full brilliance.....RF excitation is very efficient. but you are in the near field and radiation of the current in the loop will mainly be cancelled by the induced current in the ground. I suppose any far-field RF would go straight up anyway?

Alan
G3NYK