Re: LF: TX Toroid Material

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: TX Toroid Material
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 23:09:23 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi,

I took a FT-240-77 in my large PA a while ago. The primary winding can be seen here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19882028/MF/20130713_002528.jpg
47 turns were fine to switch a 475 kHz (nearly) rectangular signal with an amplitude to 320 V. From that, you can calculate the number of turns you will need. Let me think: A sine wave causes a lower peak flux in the core, so you are on the safe side. So you are on the safe side. 230V rms for 47 truns. If you want to run 300W at 50 Ohm, that's U=sqrt(P*R)= 78V rms, i.e. 47*78/230= 16 turns for the secondary winding. If your primary side is at 2.1 kOhm, you need sqrt(2100/50)*16 = 104 turns. You can use thin wire on the primary side. 104 turns is managable and the losses in the transformer will be low! A series C (1 uF MKP-10 1.6 kV maybe) to the primary winding may be needed to decouple DC. Then you are down at 50 Ohm and can use the well known double-pi LPF designs using 6.8 nF (-j50 Ohm) and 16.7 uH (j50 Ohm)... For further calculations are needed. Beware of simulations! :-)

73, Stefan