Re: LF: Re: Should I be aiming for a better match than this?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Should I be aiming for a better match than this?
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 10:09:18 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=BS8Mh8gazfI9nNWDUqlE4F3gQX3j1Gr+Sj+iqBfWHzg=; b=Shlr/Zwb8RLVZbK+6qzgNVoT6+8MdALPJ/V0fyQCmefFiaZz8lmLpI9w9siF3We0Sj GUdUZQ0TohhH7KFgl8cKkh83F+NBGpjloaLtRQzUvbTcUdEnhLppaf6hRSdQtbFA1tOW E1PunJ+yC8CH6eFNis/TZyxFo5BSTyR2iM3c+lbnSDBgPJ0DL+8CuOHrlJfySD3kGXQy wr22+vNNfsRPuUTOkUeI8GM95Plu/i0259EoSGGM5MlqemAFES+Y06K5K6EZRPKJ4qVj EXn9+z4Ztc4tOGf85F3/kPeADqGYuGsoXVovaUcH8Qksz0g03RKYVJmWnsn8LoV1aR2u lirQ==
Sender: [email protected]
I have always intensely disliked tapped 'loading' coils such as that, for precisely the reason you mention - a tap at one turn.    This is the sort of thing you'd expect with a high Q system.  Tapped coils, mutual coupling is always a hit and miss affair you have to set up by trail and error.  A complete bodge - just because its simple

Much better is to measure your antenna's total input resistance when resonant, then make a ferrite cored matching transformer to transform that resistance to the 50R (or whatever) your Tx is designed to drive.

Ferrite cored transformers are near enough perfect at this (but remember V = 4.44 F.N.A.B for the minimum turns needed)  and a few taps there will allow for variation in antenna resistance changing with weather conditions.
At 700 Watts I use an old ETD49 core with Ae = 200mm^2, ferrite type something like EC90 if memory serves.   Standard SMPSU type anyway.    At the 700 Watt level it barely gets warm

My 7m high Tee antenna at 137kHz when resonant varies from 90 ohms in dry summer conditions to as much as 130 or 140 ohms in wet soggy weather.  The transformer is incorporated into the Tx and serves dual purpose as matching and isolation for teh direct-from-mains switcher PA.   It has switchable output taps for a number of impedance including 50R and a range from 80 to 150R.   A 10m  run of UR43 coax is quite happy at the 3:1 ish SWR resulting

Andy  G4JNT