Re: LF: Re: Should I be aiming for a better match than this?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Should I be aiming for a better match than this?
From: John Rabson <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 09:56:42 +0200
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=content-type:mime-version:subject:from:in-reply-to:date :content-transfer-encoding:message-id:references:to; bh=gvFTBSPdIhKLD5y8ARqA+/HeGETuB/f+dondrb0kTr4=; b=GeQx/SvRHxH+5upx90IHklKV+uO3OK1oxTBPisveGp3HomX6+HL9sCPyLd5D5dS6VD PDgdHe5QY0wsV/PPh0ejqzXHAdCcmsJU7UxL88Tukh9aAbQoJmbPM4e7hzTApTSlGuaA AMRXdE2FmUn/q70TdxxHeszHu1W3eNwfLs5ZXUZjVGYw2yDnyjOtexM9S0eDBiihGKkl oTbYvwbo2KFkcSb82VIz5LfXtTq2WIrC8DPNYNL+YN8fmwOV2NiPkkTnAamHHV6FV/eW N29gj6OEHnsw95ZTN/6E6wu75V9u6jMZOr9oIYYFCszXmgmeVB1XtFrfF833iIq/s+jp I0tw==
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Chris,

I use the term “isolation” to emphasise the fact that it does provide galvanic
isolation, which an auto-transformer does not.

The transformer here is a ferrite ring type N90AB from Maplin, with a 5 turn
primary winding and a 10 turn secondary. The transmitter is a 30 W class E
design based on the spreadsheet by G3NYK. In this configuration, with the
antenna system presenting 50 ohms, the amplifier sees the desired load of about
12 ohms.

73 John F5VLF

> On 16 Oct 2015, at 00:44, Chris Wilson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> … Another poster, John Rabson, talked of isolating mains
> ground and RF ground. As I have had occasional RCD trips at the house
> distribution panel when TX'ing at high power with this setup, I am
> wondering about this. He spoke of an isolation transformer, but I am
> not sure just what he meant by that.

[email protected]

Researching history of RABSON, BLACKSHAW, GAUNTLETT, VERLANDER and ROBSONNE