LF: Re: Should I be aiming for a better match than this?

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Should I be aiming for a better match than this?
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 00:45:49 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Chris Im glad the tap idea helped. It is quite difficult at a distance to think of things that might cause the effects but it looks like we nailed one.

Your suggestion of RF getting into the system is a good one. It is always difficult with a short antenna because you have a lot of radiation near the equipment.When I started using a 130ft end fed wire on HF with an FT-101 and its low-Z dynamic mic I got terrible problems not seen when I used a Heathkit HW100 with a crystal mic. The latter was a lot easier to by-pass for RF. Eventually a trial with a ferrite rod (ex MW aerial ferrite) pushed into the coils of the curly lead completely stopped the problem. I had no trouble on CW....only when the mic was in.

What you need to find is where the RF is affecting, then how its getting in. It may well be that some of the chassis' is going live to RF ....if that is the case you may even feel it :-((

Try to make sure that the RF stays outside the shack if you can. Ground the antenna end of the coax......try to run the coax at right angles to the aerial as it leaves the coil. Possibly put some beads on the the remote end of the coax or a couple of turns through a torroid. I think you have a ferrite coupled current meter?? put it over the coax when you are using the dummy load. You shoud see very little current indicated, do the same with the aerial/tuner connected and I guess you will see a lot more. That (if it is the case) will give you something to aim at. Get the readings similar to those on the dummy load. I think the RF is probably comming back on the coax braid.

That's my best guess at the moment.....my, you are learning a lot of practical radio in a short time :-)) I may be totally off target but it a good place to start.

Best of Luck
Alan
G3NYK

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Wilson" <[email protected]>