LF: Re: Should I be aiming for a better match than this?

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Should I be aiming for a better match than this?
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 18:14:43 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
can i work out the antenna current from this?
Not really this is the current in the coax. If the current and voltage are not in phase then by definition you have reactance in the coax termination. You should try adjusting the variometer for current and voltage in phase (that is resonance) , then adjust the turns ratio on the transformer to match the resultant aerial resistive component to the 50ohm coax (if possible :-)) ) That should give you optimum performance.

The reactive load may be what is tripping the protection it will give bigger voltages(or currents) than the matched condition.

Whilst you have been getting a signal out, I suggest the next experiment is to try and reducethe ground loss before you spend a lot of time getting a perfect match to an imperfect aerial system (only to have to do it all again when you manage to get the ground loss down.)

Alan
G3NYK

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Wilson" <[email protected]>