Re: LF: Would slower QRSS help?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Would slower QRSS help?
From: Paul Nicholson <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 19:06:37 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
> I will be running in QRSS 180 tonight.

Good luck.  After last night's test maybe a few more receivers
will be listening on 29499 Hz.  I'm sure this signal will go
a lot further than UK.   It counts as a strong signal here
and there is 10 or 20dB or more (depending on rx bandwidth)
in hand to reach further into Europe.

More plots: a graph of signal level and phase, 10 minute
averages stepping 5 minutes.

 http://abelian.org/vlf/tmp/29499_140302k.gif

The background noise is plotted after sferic blanking.

On the spectrogram it looks like the noise tails off more
sharply between 04:00 and 04:30 but when I actually plot
the noise it's a quite smooth decline.   But the signal is
gradually coming up hence the appearance of a 'window' in the
2 or 3 hours before dawn.

For comparison, NAA at 24kHz during the same period

 http://abelian.org/vlf/tmp/29499_140302m.gif

Some pronounced dips during the night at 29499 Hz don't appear
in the NAA record.

--
Paul Nicholson