RE: LF: Re: U.S. VLF License WH2XBA

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF: Re: U.S. VLF License WH2XBA
From: JD <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 21:15:16 -0500 (EST)
Sender: [email protected]
So far as the less robust reception I got this afternoon here in the middle of the continent, there are a couple of other factors to consider in addition to propagation.

Probably the biggest one is antenna efficiency. The frequency ratio from 74 kHz to 30 kHz is 2.46:1. Unless your antenna is significantly taller than for the other bands, that means the radiation resistance has diminished by the square of that ratio (a factor af about 6.08). At the very best, your loading coil loss and ground system resistance might remain about the same, but could very well increase (such as if the increased skin depth takes return currents lower into the earth, into a less conductive rock layer). So, I would expect overall antenna loss has increased significantly--perhaps by 15 or 16 dB.

Second, I'm using the receiver outside its rated tuning range, by means of lower sideband mode. My 250 Hz IF filter helps minimize the static levels seen by the receiver, but seems to have a few dB additional loss when switched in the SSB chain. I discovered this a couple of months ago when I was testing various ways of copying your WSPR-2 signal at LF. Decoding was more effective when I used the narrow filter with upper sideband rather than the 1.8 kHz SSB filter, but was even _more_ effective when the narrow filter was in the CW chain with its normal BFO offset. Therefore, my receiving setup is likely to be a few dB less sensitive as well when working in this non-standard fashion.

On the positive side, just before I returned to town to check e-mail, it appeared that somewhat improved nighttime propagation might be kicking in. We'll know more in a couple of hours.

John