Re: LF: VK1OD's analysis of the MiniWhip antenna

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: VK1OD's analysis of the MiniWhip antenna
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2013 18:19:18 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Am 06.07.2013 20:32, schrieb Roelof Bakker:
[...]However this is irrelevant as the output is easily adjusted by adapting the size of PCB antenna.

That sounds so easy but unfortunately we have to fight with DCF-39 here :-( There are certain countries where it IS so easy :-)

The feed line is not part of the antenna.
What is then the counterpoise of the whip? The second plate of the capacitor? Where does the potential difference come from? It must be the metallic structure connected to ground (GND in the circuitry) and connected feed line, either coax or twisted pair or what ever.

One test I still intend to do is to feed the antenna with a 9V battery and use fiber optic to transport the rf to the shack. I am using a non conductive fiber glass pole and my guess is that the antenna still will work.
I agree. But it will have a counterpoise too, e.g. the plates inside the 9V battery.

If the whip electrode connected to the FET is a tin can and the complete circuitry including the battery is inside that box, only a small hole to feed out the fiber optic cable, then the voltage or signal will be 0 (or just noise).

73, Stefan/DK7FC

73,
Roelof bakker, pa0rdt