Re: LF: VK1OD's analysis of the MiniWhip antenna

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: VK1OD's analysis of the MiniWhip antenna
From: "Roelof Bakker" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2013 20:32:13 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Pieter-Tjerk,

Thank you for your analysis.

The mini-whip works as a monopole vertial antenna, however contrary to a normal monopole the gap is not at the bottom, but at the top. The result is that the output is 6 dB higher as the effective height is the height of the mini-whip and not height/2. However this is irrelevant as the output is easily adjusted by adapting the size of PCB antenna.

The feed line is not part of the antenna. I have tested the use of proper common mode chokes at different positions in the feed line. It did not make any difference at all on received signal strength (Noise is a different story, though.) I have also build a mini-whip fed with unshielded CAT5 network cable with rf-isolating transformers at both ends. This arrangement is preferred when grounding the shield of the coax at the bottom of the mast to prevent noise on the shield traveling up to the antenna, is not possible.

One test I still intend to do is to feed the antenna with a 9V battery and use fiber optic to transport the rf to the shack. I am using a non conductive fiber glass pole and my guess is that the antenna still will work.

73,
Roelof bakker, pa0rdt