Re: LF: Further MF impressions

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Further MF impressions
From: "Roelof Bakker" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 16:53:58 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Stefan,

This morning I listened to your QSO with PA3ABK at 21:10 UTC yesterday.
Jan was S-8 on a real S-meter and your signal was peaking S-4; about 15 dB above the band noise.
Easy copy in a band width of 500 Hz.

About propagation over a sea path, a few NDB chasers have studied this and have come to the conclusion that propagation over sea reaches four times as far as over land, using the same power and antenna. I live on an peninsula and at daytime could copy an NDB from the Faroer Islands at daytime all year round on 381 kHz. The distance is about 1300 km.

For long distance propagation, the bands opens up an hour or more after sunset, when the D-layer has collapsed.
But in due course you will find out the propagation finesses yourself.
However, there are always surprises against all odds.
(Last night I logged 20 Canadian NDB's on LF, go figure)

Good luck with your stimulating experiments!

73,
Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt