Re: LF: Further MF impressions

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Further MF impressions
From: "Graham" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 17:48:19 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

'''What do others know about the ground wave range in summer and in the
afternoon? When does the band open? Similar to LF?''

Stefan, Ground range is really a product of erp + data processing (if your are digital) , 75 miles is about the saturation range , you may remember the 'Beacon Bedlam' when 500 was first allocated and lots of qrss beacons where established (Luckily Myself and Gray are over 100 miles north of know end of civilisation Watford-gap and missed out on this !)

Next is the skip round 175/ 250 miles , there seemed to be a belt round that distance that was always difficult to work, then next 300 miles + in the night

There where a good set of propagation/ time delay / phase plots on the old uk500khz web site using the ZL psk-software , showing the phase distortion at times of qsb on 500 , that gave a indication as to why psk-31 was all ways a very poor mode over distance ,

This plot from DK8KW , with one long run of the Op beacon , gives a good over view of the changes of conditions over the night , I only started to decode off air quite late on , But I could copy your CW much earlier in the night, so I assume the station is working correctly , but later decodes are many dB down on the South Uk levels , but skip may of been the simple reason , I was using a 40ft x 2 inch end fed vertical mast , 6 ft off the ground, at the time , with only the pre-selector in the Rx as the tuner

73 -G..