Re: LF: Re: RTZ on 50 kHz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: RTZ on 50 kHz
From: "Roelof Bakker" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 17:01:10 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Clemens,

Thank you for the links.
You have excellent reception of JJY-60.

Besides the length of the pulses, there is yet another way to identify WWVB. The carrier is not completely switched off between pulses, but rather the power level is reduced by 17 dB.
This is a reduction from 70 KW to 1.4 KW.

The signal strength of WWVB is peaking around 05:15 UTC and at that time, I can see the reduced carrier. As WWVB is the only station that uses this power reduction between pulses, it must be WWVB what I am hearing. Last Monday WWVB was audible the better part of the morning and faded out half an hour before local noon.

73,
Roelof, pa0rdt