Re: LF: Dream sampler

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Dream sampler
From: Alberto di Bene <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 17:02:45 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Z-usanet-msgid: XID794qcdPcW1968X40
On 3/30/2012 7:38 AM, Johan H. Bodin wrote:
I am thinking about a front end using something like your old I/Q sampling PIC
with a preamp and a BPF. Fs should be close to 4*9=36kHz for near-DC IF but not
too close in order to avoid 1/f noise from the preamp. If the sampling MCU is
clocked with a precision frequency and connected to a simple serial port, we
could say goodbye to soundcard jitter and jumps and other unexplainable
phenomena! Not a "soundCard" really, but a "dreamCard"...
Hi Johan,

   may I suggest you to give a look at the dsPIC from Microchip ?
It has a 12-bit ADC and a couple of DACs on board, together with an instruction set rich of
instructions tailored to DSP processing, like MAC, ring buffer support, etc. etc.

I used it for an SSB generator, using a modified Weaver method, and found it perfectly
adequate for this kind of tasks.  I bet that with a single dsPIC chip, you can digitize
the 8.9 kHz band signals, process them and playback them through the DACs, no PC
whatsoever needed....

73  Alberto  I2PHD