Re: LF: noise on VK and earth dipole tests

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: noise on VK and earth dipole tests
From: Dimitrios Tsifakis <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 20:20:15 +1100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=IyMj8HulxolQrMsRu1KOsDoabaN3erVqG4NyqhgvW2g=; b=A9eq+uoIuqb23wpCKfaIcEa+lM6KiQr0JeUYZ/Tkl/9OrTVhWlmMI349huJgJh0tQS uRDHVDDX9hhUHLhGtcasoOdamnDt8G+Z6ePnDHxlwl7jkjwZHUAwOO34zZz4nARxw2pG vxGSI1udq7sxPx5sDSYVji9y1DjlBXA1vFqeo=
Sender: [email protected]
Hi John,

2011/10/12 John Rabson <[email protected]>:
> Amongst other things, it depends on the geology.  G3XBM has managed 5.6 km
> with 5 W RF at very low frequency.  On 87 kHz with 4W SSB (cave radio) in
> limestone, the best I know of is 1.6 km two way and 2.5 km one way in the
> French alps.

Well, the S/N required for voice is much higher than that of QRSS30.
With a puny 3 W of RF and QRSS30 it seems I can cover a distance of
about 30 km and still have a S/N of 30 dB! Which implies that possibly
(if the signal received is normal ground wave, similar to that from an
above-ground antenna), with a spreading loss of 6 dB per doubling of
distance and with a bit more juice, much greater distances may be
covered.

> It is always worth trying.

That's the spirit in the amateur world of LF! :-)

73, Dimitris VK1SV