Re: LF: noise on VK and earth dipole tests

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: noise on VK and earth dipole tests
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 12:35:53 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Dimitris,

Sorry, have lost your mail in the large ammount of mails yesterday ;-)

Am 11.10.2011 23:37, schrieb Dimitrios Tsifakis:
Hi Stefan,

Last two or three days have been rather noisy, yesterday I had to turn
down the volume of the receiver as the static was reaching annoying
levels. But hey, transmitting _is_ fun and I am sure you will have
plenty of reception reports, even if you don't make it to VK this
time.

I am so jealous of the amateur density in Europe and the level of
activity over there on LF
Yes, it's great here ;-) And the number of grabbers too! Very interesting countries and locations. But the activity is extending, see TF3Hz or 4X1RF. The covered area increases.
- here, I need to drive to my country block
to set up my transmitter, transmit, then go back home to check the
received signal in my grabber!
Reminds me on local LF experiments. But even on 8970 Hz i have 38 confirmed receptions, see http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19882028/VLF/VLF_11th_all.png
By the way, has anyone in the group experimented with transmitting
into the ground with earth probes?
Yes, G3XBM, others and me. I have a 700m long "earth antenna". The electrode pairs are 600m distant. Average height above ground is about 6m (2...10m). I was received in 46 km distance at 8970 Hz in DFCW-600 (Michael Oexner) and about 450 km in QRSS-3 on 137.7 kHz (F5WK). G3KEV also reported about traces of my transmission on LF. He is 830km distant. I used 100W RF power.

Well, on VLF it is a pure earth antenna but on LF it must be a mixture of that and a low short wire above ground. I haven't done excessive experiments on LF, like finding the radiation pattern and so. Maybe that would be interesting.

If you have a region with plenty space, you must try a loong baverage to EU please :-) You could also use that for TXing whithout expecting too much of course, just for the fun. Can you arrange a 3 Lambda wire in VK? :-)
  It seems to be working reasonably
well here, in fact I have been thinking that it's comparable to my
very limited inverted-L LF antenna...

http://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~dxt103/136/earth/
Very nice site. Nice to see that there are crazy people like me all over the world :-)

What are your plans and who is the next distant LF station to you? How many amateurs can radiate a 1 W ERP signal in VK, do you know?

Vy 73 and good luck in your experiments!

Stefan/DK7FC