Re: LF: noise on VK and earth dipole tests

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: noise on VK and earth dipole tests
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 17:26:35 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Dimitris,

Am 12.10.2011 23:47, schrieb Dimitrios Tsifakis:

Was the 450 km reception done during the day or night?
It was in the evening. The mail and screenshot is in one of the 1000s of mails here in the reflector. Must have been about a year ago. RX station was F5WK.
  At that
distance I am guessing the RX station is not receiving anything from
the earth, it will all be coming from above ground.
I think as long as it is not conduction (which is limited to some km) even my VLF transmission received in 46 km by Michael Oexner was ground wave, not through the ground. The idea is that the current flowing into the ground forms some kind of loop that is radiation some uW, coming out of the ground (hill) and beeing propagated as if it comes from a usual vertical antenna.

By the way, why did you elevate the wire off the ground? I am just
letting the (insulated) wire sit on the ground.
To get a better effective area and to prevent that someone stumbles over the wire ;-)
  I think that this
results in more energy transferred in the ground capacitively. Maybe I
should try elevating the wire to see what difference that makes.
But you want the current to completely flow into your far end electrode, not beeing capacitively coupled into the ground before, which would also reduce your effective area and thus the efficiency.
Well, on VLF it is a pure earth antenna but on LF it must be a mixture of
that and a low short wire above ground.
I haven't done excessive experiments on LF, like finding the radiation
pattern and so. Maybe that would be interesting.
With the limited experiments I have done, I think there is some
directionality but it's hard to say if this is due to the geology of
the area or the direction of the earth dipole.
It must have to do with the different conductive and capacitive layers into the ground and is difficult to estimate i think. Of course the geometry of the hill, i my case, plays a role too. Soemhow it jeems to work though ;-)

If it can't be done in VK, then it can't be done!
So it can be done in VK since it can be done :-)
  I may need to travel
a bit further out, but I am very very sure this is possible here. Now,
where do I get 6.6 km of wire? :-)
Use simple mains house wiring cable, i.e. 3x1.5mm^2 or what you have in VK. We are getting 50m (i.e. 150m) for about 7 EUR. You can start with a shorter length of course and see what comes out so far. I have started with 120m and reached 2 km distance with a bad earth and 6W RF power ;-) But that's near field. On 8970 Hz i can reach my grabber in 5 km distance at 35 dB S/N in DFCW-600 when i use 150 W TX power on the 600m spaced antenna.

That would be a great LF RX antenna as well! Really looking forward to your first results, if you actually want to start in the VK landscape on VLF. If you need a schematic for a nearly 100% efficiency PA, 300W at 12VDC (car battery), see http://www.iup.uni-heidelberg.de/schaefer_vlf/12V_300W_VLF_PA.pdf :-)

Anyway, I am having a good vibe about experimenting more with the
earth dipoles, so the next steps will be more wire, more power and
different configurations. I am feeling much more relaxed pumping more
power in the ground because it has such a nice and predictable purely
resistive impedance
That's true!! I don't use a coil on VLF too. The impedance almost equals your earth electrode resistance i think.

Can you give me a locator where you think you will start with first tests? A nearby sea sourrounded by dry desert or rocks would be fine. A stone hill or so... The ground below the earth electrode must be BAD conducting even if it makes more effort to get a low earth electrode resistance.
  - no fiddly and dangerous inductors are needed,
just a good ol' impedance transformer.
Yes and no HV, not even high currenty in the secondary path. And you can measure the antenna current with a good digital multimeter, see http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19882028/VLF/DSC03246.JPG which was a photo taken during a VLF test in the forest near Heidelberg ;-)

Vy 73, Stefan/DK7FC