Re: LF: noise on VK and earth dipole tests

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: noise on VK and earth dipole tests
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 14:14:11 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Dimitris,

Very interesting and nice to read experiments and web page! Good to see some experimenters beeing available.

Some questions and ideas:
How do you ground the earth antenna at the end?
Did you try to use the directional antenna to receive DCF39?

On 137 kHz you may get good results with a dipole on the ground if you have bad soil conductivity. Or you may use a large (earth) loop into the forest. Here you can hang up the wire 10m above ground and no one cares.

It would be very interesting to have a RX/TX antenna pointing to EU.

Will you use a 400m wire next? .-)

How much place do you have out there?

I would like to participate in the experiments. We would be a good team! Maybe we can be a team together here. I am the TX side, you are the RX side (opposite is no good idea i think ;-) ). Would be interesting to compare the S/N levels of DCF39 when using the same S/N settings as at home. Then you can compare the hopefully improved performance of the /p system. If you can gain say 10 dB, maybe we will have a chance then! You title your grabber as a "urban" grabber. It has a omnidirectional antenna, right? So if you can use a directional antenna and be outside the city... You know :-)

Would all be very exciting!!!

It would be interesting to compare different wire length at the same orientation regarding S/N on the RX side, i.e. VK2DDI. Who is the next farer distant station, say 400 or 800 km? :-)

Good luck and fun with your experiments!!

How much wire do you have now?

I think the 450 Ohm you get is mostly caused by the earth electrode resistance. So if you spend e.g. 2 instead of one earth rod, maybe you can get a 3 dB improvement?

Vy 73 from EU

Stefan/DK7FC