Re: LF: beaconing to the west II ...and to the east, north and south.

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: beaconing to the west II ...and to the east, north and south...
From: Bill de Carle <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 11:26:30 -0400
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Stefan:

I think I know how to configure clipping in SL (done it before) but by all means send me your usr - can only be helpful. I've had good results with software clipping when I recorded the raw digitized data first then decided where/how clipping should occur after looking at it. Too hard to predict optimum clipping settings for a long overnight run. I didn't try recording last night: SL probably records incoming soundcard data before its internal sample rate correction is applied, so that would raise another issue. I suppose I could add a sample rate correction step to the software I use for off-line processing, then we wouldn't need SL at all, hi! Even uncorrected SC sample rate is likely stable enough for QRSS-60 stuff anyway, especially after a short warmup. With the kind of band noise we had last night I don't think clipping would have been beneficial. The Rx here is a TS-850 (master clock derived from GPS std), using CW mode 500-Hz IF filter with audio out at nominally 800-Hz (actually, when the TS-850 is set to receive 136.172 Khz using 1-Hz tuning steps an incoming carrier at that frequency will produce an audio output tone at 799.944 Hz). The external GPS-monitored freq std runs 24/7. Main advantage is a Rx that's instantly on-frequency and doesn't drift even right after turn-on. Last night I had the Rx AGC enabled so lots of compression due to almost continuous static crashes. I leave the RF gain at max when I go to bed because band noise often dies down at some point. I was using a complex FFT with center frequency set to 800 Hz. For some reason SL didn't like it when I tried to enter the more precise frequency and rounded it to nearest Hz. I also have an SDR-IQ here which might be useful at 136 Khz but didn't see your announcement in time. The SDR-IQ isn't locked to an external reference so for long term carrier detection the TS-850 is preferable. I'll run the grabber again tonite. What time will you start Tx?
73,
Bill VE2IQ