Re: LF: Acti 137 kHz

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Acti 137 kHz
From: "Albert" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 20:28:04 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Mal (and others),

Back from the hf-bands ? I use WSPR to see if there is any chance (SNR over - 13 dB) for a normal CW QSO. But with most of the stations QRV on 136 kHz nowadays this is not the case. If both stations have their timing right WSPR will decode correctly untill - 30 dB SNR in 2.5 kHz BW. QRSS; I agree with you that you can see QRSS with the naked eye (using a computer with the appropriate software), but when using QRSS 60 or worse you can better do that the next morning after a good night's rest. I still want to make a plea for WSPR on these low frequencies to check the propagation over a longer time. The RX reports are "real" SNR giving 1dB resolution and not generated by the operator reading an incorrect S-meter, all reports, including TX-power, timestamp and distance are collected in the WSPRnet database so even after years you can check if the propagation was really much better in 2009. Or even better study the effects of the propagation over the day in different parts of the year. Besides WSPR, I use CW and QRSS 3 and 10. My idea was to create activity days where we concentrate to one of the used modes on a specific day. Now all our efforts to created activity are scattered across the different modes. With the result that you are complaining and QSY to higher frequencies.

73, Albert PA0A