Re: LF: VLF dj8wx on 8970.022Hz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: VLF dj8wx on 8970.022Hz
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 16:52:01 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Uwe,

the test lead of the oscilloscope in use has a resistor of 10Mohm. The oscilloscope advise text says that I have to multiply the result by 10.

OK. I added two other 10Mohm  in series multiplyed the result by 1000 and got 40000Vpp

using the twentieth of max TX power. 40kV? Is that possible?

If you switch 2 more 10 MOhm resistors in series you have to mulitply your result by 3x10. So you should have 1200 Vpp or 426 V rms.
If your maximum antenna current is 3 A (really???!!), you should get 8.8 kV rms which appears pretty low.
Your L would be less than 50 mH and your C about 6.3 nF. This sounds very extreme.

the current from the coile foot into the radials was 0.145A (3 A with max power).

How do you measure the antenna current? Can you repeat the voltage measuring when using the 1:10 probe without the 20 MOhm in series? The probe should withstand 600 Vp normally. You may start with a even lower antenna current

who will try to calculate the ERP?

It's difficult to do that without knowing the situation about trees and buildings near the antenna, especially on VLF but some are able to estimate your ERP by the distance and field strength i assume :-)

Looking forward to your transmission! :-)

73, Stefan/DK7FC