Re: LF: Re: Re: Re: Re: CQ WW

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Re: Re: Re: CQ WW
From: Scott Tilley <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 10:59:23 -0800
References: <00c301cbcb04$b57989a0$0401a8c0@xphd97xgq27nyf><[email protected]><00dd01cbcb0a$b7f1f4f0$0401a8c0@xphd97xgq27nyf><[email protected]><00eb01cbcb0d$6a82ee10$0401a8c0@xphd97xgq27nyf> <[email protected]> <012001cbcb15$e63c14c0$0401a8c0@xphd97xgq27nyf> <433CFC410770450186BB307A8AD28484@JimPC> <002d01cbcb72$87e2f760$0401a8c0@xphd97xgq27nyf> <001101cbcb7d$2fbc4810$8d01a8c0@JAYDELL> <004001cbcb86$5239b180$0401a8c0@xphd97xgq27nyf>
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Mal and group

Yes the chance of an EU reception on the west coast is remote but not impossible as evidenced by the reception of VY1JA in Germany in 2006.

There's nothing to prevent your QSO skeds from occurring on other frequencies that are more convenient to both parties. Why do they need to be in the wateringholes? In fact, I'd prefer that as the constant chatter (from Mal) on the reflector about when to stop transmitting and send report doesn't really seem like a valid attempt at a QSO to me. So perhaps you should use the word testing as opposed to QSO in the future... Or maybe beaconing!

The use of 136.177 seemed at the time a compromise to allow more dedicated receiving stations to operate on that frequency than before. To be blunt, Mal you're not dedicating any resources to the LF community's good so I think your voice in this is very small. Put up a grabber and dedicate the time and money to operating it and then speak your mind with how you use your equipment.

Here in coastal BC we are plagued by a wide area source of interference at the low end of the band that blots out 136.318. After consultation with many of the participants world wide, most operators shifted frequency as we now need to consider our colleagues in Japan and the need for a split like that of EU and Eastern NA. Ie. None of the present stations in VE7 could use 136318. The benefit is the possibility of exploring propagation tests with amateur stations in EU and allowing split operation transpacific in coordination with the rest of the world...

Remember that 2200m is now truly a world wide band now and that activity may be occurring at anytime on the DX paths not just when G3KEV decides.

Wateringholes are there to allow testing when someone needs a window at their convenience, its nice if that window is the same world wide and of course that means compromise... True QSO work is not confined to these limits as both operators can QSY where ever they like. So please do so if you have issues at either end.

73 Scott
VE7TIL