Re: LF: Pic or Atmel?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Pic or Atmel?
From: wolf_dl4yhf <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 18:09:47 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Stefan,

I used both (PICs and Atmels, ATmegas, and a bunch of others) and would suggest to ..

- avoid 14-bit PICs (they are really dreadful if you need to do arithmetics, and there is only a "pseudo-C"-like high level language. 16-, and especially 24- or even 32-bit "PIC" / dsPICs dont have much in common with the old stuff, there are good debuggers, and 'true' C compilers available for them. - ATmegas, even the tiniest ones, have a much nicer instruction set (compared with 14-bit PIC core) and are thus more suited for compiled languages like "C". My personal favourite (at the office) are ARM microcontrollers, though. They are surprisingly cheap (NXP LPC2xxx series, compared to "larger" PICs), *extremely* powerful, and you will find development boards for them in any size and price, with all kinds of interfaces already onboard. Try "Embedded Artists" for example, they are a nice starting point for own development. And no, I am not related to them in any way, just a satisfied customer.

Cheers,
  Wolf DL4YHF .