Re: LF: Pic or Atmel?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Pic or Atmel?
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 17:39:15 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=+wlWbRJ5ZOlGQUqkcK04OoO1PrF5VYzqq42BrOpFG+Q=; b=U2fyK2AwFWzHSTKuK7PDqXrt3dO9CA2DDmUAaE2SHGBNyZ4t378uE7tNc65mhXRUkD yIzFTZQGoetw9kUq1UBbaKSgyX5GZcYUx2is4/C9qX1xdXUa/UhxGQdd7ALH6CD9l8hR S7wiVw8wdB1PNCIg9GiwdS7/fOz9XDi37+q9k=
Sender: [email protected]
Well, I know nothing about the Atmel aprat from teh fact that is exists :-)
There are plenty that love the range and won't touch PICs, but as you say its like Linux / Windows - never the twain...

Everything you want to do is quite straightforward and can all be done by the low end 16F series of PICs.  The 16F628 is a good workhorse to start with, the 16F819 is much the same, but has an on-board 4 channel 10 bit A/D.  The 16F870 is again much the same but has more I/O lines.

Another of my favourites is the 12F629 and the similar 12F675 with 10 bit A/D converter.- both very cheap, especially in bulk.   Same code as the 16F family, but only 8 pins,and internal oscillator (with oscilator calibration facility) making them ideal for simple standalone tiny modules and a for jobs like fire-and-go-to-sleep-doing-nothing-more synthesizer programming.

There's a lot of 16F and 12f family source code on my website (people have said I've given away too much code over the years)
http://www.g4jnt.com/pics.htm

For programming its difficult to beat the Microchip PicKit programmer - if you shop around its usually possible to get it bundled with a development board for one of the more upmarket device- sometimes at a bargai nprice.   The PicKit is upwards compatible and will programm all tke higher range and DSPPic as well.

I have ONLY EVER programmed in native assembler - everyone says its old hat, complicated etc, but it isn't.  And gives you far more versaility that using C or Basic PIC dialects.   And in 15 years of PIC programming have built up a good set of libraries that do everything a high level language can offer.

Andy