Re: LF: VLF - G3XIZ - QRT

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: VLF - G3XIZ - QRT
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 18:06:07 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=b769cFzbtpNoYWMp9YXNvVDXmZ6AnnFGHjrRzcBfKME=; b=oDkWur7YkYmHXE5fjOALutbvRdCuoA/ZZf2hMCmN2Vo8nm7g9tgcqem3byATNiQczb OwfcB28/lsZ+Iml1b9j2BGSFM5fsSu5kNPvFUQIzEQ2bcYY8M2leQBa940WUaSA1oPeO o/aIoRrLoIqqO57WPqIvjR6yCVi5eud1UdyIg=
Sender: [email protected]
Yes.   There are a couple of possible other lines too, and if it wasn't for the fact that the line shown very definitely wasn't there when I restarted the Rx after Chris had announced he was QRT, I wouldn't have been nearly so confident.  Its a great pity the Rx wasn't actually doing its job as the signal went off.   WHY does saving a screen grab stop the Rx - that's just mad.   I'll use a [ctl]-[prt scn} next time.

The correct freq was read off on the cursor, so I know the frequency cal was OK.

The SDR-IQ driver software (Spectravue) can go to much lower bandwidths, but playing about with it a few dys ago to check calibration issues, if the decimated sampling rate is set to one of the values lower than 55kHz then frequency accuracy is not brilliant - I was seeing 0.4Hz readout error on the cursor against known frequencies so need to work out why that is.    Keeping to a 55kHz rate, readout error was to within a bin's accuracy.    Presumably 55kHz is the highest single - decimation allowed by the digital downconverter (Fclock / 1200)  and going lower introduces a double decimation process.      Max FFT size is 2Meg, so at 55kHz, BW is then restricted to 0.03Hz.

It will go to 5kHz sampling, so theoretically the software can get get down to .003Hz bin size, but testing it all out at the resulting 6 minute update rate would be more than a bit tedious - and would need at least  QRSS600 signalling.

Andy