Re: LF: Eu QRSS freq....

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Eu QRSS freq....
From: <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 07:17:49 -0500
Sender: [email protected]
Markus, Group

Since my name was mentioned I'll make a quick post.

We may have a chicken and egg situation here. Up until several years ago I routinely monitored and reported on EU activity on LF ... that is until EU stations moved en masse to the US T/A window. It is simply impossible to receive weak signals from EU while BIG US stations are on the air. One is reduced to looking for crumbs of weak signals between long callsigns strings. Worse yet, set up for overnight captures because no US stations are active only to wake up to a screen full of US stations that got a late start. I gave up.

Now there's talk of merging the EU and US 500 kHz WSPR windows. Providing spots last winter, especially for low power EU stations, was an interesting and challenging pursuit. But it won't be if the majority of WSPR time slots are clobbered by strong local groundwave signals.

Don't change anything on my account ... there's plenty of other interesting things to do on VLF, LF and MF!

Jay