LF: Eu QRSS freq. Was 'XDV QRSS60 137k'

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Eu QRSS freq. Was 'XDV QRSS60 137k'
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 10:41:02 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
> In the past EU QRSS beacons were transmitting in the 137.32 range. > Did this
> changed? I think I missed something.-
> 73
> Hartmut
> www.h-wolff.de

Hartmut,

You are right. In the past I have strongly argued that Eu beacons
should be in that part of the band. However, the reality is that no-
one is listening there (apart from a couple of Eu grabbers). There
are grabbers in Alaska, Western Canada, Japan and Eastern Russia but
not one covers the 136.320kHz sub-band.

That sub-band was originally created when there were many Eu (mostly
UK) stations chasing QSOs and reports from the east coast of America -
 there were even several Canadians capable of two-way QSOs. The idea
of the split frequency was that these QSOs should not cause QRM to
each other. Now there are very few Eu stations interested in DX
working, and seemingly no east coast American stations routinely
monitoring.

I try not to QRM those Eu stations who are monitoring for US and
Russian beacons. This is achieved by not beaconing every day, and by
not beaconing continuously (which is why I synchronise each
transmission with the start of each hour). My frequency is much lower
than most US and Russian beacons. I have also announced that if my
transmissions cause anyone any problems, I will close down. In
practice, unless the receiving station is within about 150km of me
there is little chance of real QRM - last night EW6GB was fully
readable just 0.2Hz HF of me on the grabbers of DF6NM and OE3GHB.

There is still a use for the Eu DX sub-band during two-way DX QSOs,
or tests involving lots of activity. I will be the first to use it
again if any DX stations are prepared to monitor it.

Does anyone else have a view on this?

Mike, G3XDV