Re: LF: Eu QRSS freq....

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Eu QRSS freq....
From: John GM4SLV <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 22:11:02 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 16:16:03 +0000
Tony <[email protected]> wrote:

> There would have been one more newcomer active by now Mal, but when I
> first posted on this forum I was ridiculed when I asked what sort of
> wire was suitable for a LF aerial.
> Then I was told that I would be wasting my time if I didn't have 100
> foot vertical towers and run a KW++, so rather than waste my time as
> there is no way I can get away with tall towers... I gave up.
> Now back (mostly) on the civilised bands above 10m.
>
> Tony, EI8JK.

Tony,

Please reconsider trying again on MF. There is much scope for
experimenting and everything you learn is personal to you. You don't
have to stroke the ego of those who (think they) know everything and
(think they) have done everything.

I've recently been trying some real low power WSPR (milliwatt ERP over
a range of almost 2000km), plus 100mW ERP to the USA as well as "proper"
CW QSOs with OK/PA/G/SM/LA.

My antenna is 8m high, with 4 sloping guy wires as extra capacity.
Very small, as these things go.

I draw my own conclusions from what I do, what succeeds and what
doesn't. This is the point of experimenting. The purpose isn't really
to have lots of QSOs and repeating ad-nauseum "it is ah-raining-not" -
it's to enjoy yourself, think of some new scheme/test/theory, try it
out, think about the results and continue the process.

Go on, give it a a go

And as for wire - the copper kind works okay - hi!

John
GM4SLV
Shetland Is