AW: VLF: 5,2 km distance on 8,97 kHz with an earth antenna

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: AW: VLF: 5,2 km distance on 8,97 kHz with an earth antenna
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 01:47:07 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Tnx Roger,

Today i have prepared further 9 rods for each pole, so 20 rods for each pole in
sum now. Tomorrow in the morning i will drive again on the hill and try to even
reduce the losses. When DHO38 comes back after its break arround 7...8 UTC i
will try to transmit a message to my grabber using about 50 watts. I have
already an idea what to transmit ;-)

I have thought about the losses problem: First we say that it is important to
have a low ground conductance so that we achieve a big loop in the ground. But
next we say that we need a very low local earth resistance at the poles. There
on the mountain the earth conductivity seems to be very low and THUS it is not
easy for me to get a low losses at the poles. It is the same dependency! Thus i
have to do more effort to come down with the losses but it is better than
taking just one 20cm rod and achieve 100 Ohm since it would mean that the loop
area is small as well! Preparing those small earth rods is no problem. Even if
i would need 100 for each pole i would do it (not worth to mention, compared to
the work to wind such a coil ;-) ).

Today in the morning the QRN was pretty low but in the afternoon it rained. I
hope for good conds tmw. :-)

In further tests i plan to study the influence of rain and temperature and so.
This can be done by using QRP (e.g. 1W TX power, supported by a solar cell and
a battery) and my DFCW-6000 window or even the DFCW-60000 window that will
cover about 7 weeks!
The 60000' window is running since about 2 weeks and is available here:
http://www.iup.uni-heidelberg.de/schaefer_vlf/DK7FC_VLF_Grabber2.html
DFCW-60000 is not really suited for a QSO of course but it gives a good
overview of the QRN dependency during the summer time. And it is suitable for
transmitter tests if one can run a transmitter for some days or a week. Even
slower, i have added a "Annual overview" window but it will take some months to
have a real information there...

73 es gl,
Stefan/DK7FC