Re: VLF: Outdoor test for different places for active E-field antennas f

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: Outdoor test for different places for active E-field antennas for VLF
From: "Roelof Bakker" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 19:27:07 -0000
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Stefan,

Many thanks for sharing your findings.
I have done similar tests at 137 kHz and 400 kHz.
In a nutshell, it did not pay off to raise the antenna 6 meter ( total height 12 meter) above the semi flat roof of my house, compared to 5 metre high in the garden as the signal to noise ratio did not improve.

Unfortunately, I did not monitor the Russian Alpha signals at the time.
I did find a 15 dB lower signal level at 11.906 kHz at my city location compared to a a free field location, though.
Both antennas were at the same height.

I have a few chestnut trees 20 metre away which are full with new leaves and blossom.
At 400 kHz they have a screening effect of 1.5 to 2 dB!

Maybe you can check the signal to noise issue again when you have a real signal for comparison, to make sure that your assumptions are valid.

Enjoy your weekend!

73,
Roelof, pa0rdt