Re: LF: Dreamer RX

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Dreamer RX
From: Roger Lapthorn <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 20:31:33 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=wBcT/JzY6ON9g30CZTaJN1qOaYyXz5MIZvBrMEKKiOU=; b=mwjwS9hlXXhBhUJGV5a6T0jKYbXVfxjLrlMNqgKlVj9AEa8xFTYluSEx61PeXBAQ1R KMP0CK1XOOiOg703nkBdKJ2nSzOeVVDSd+CEx+2VKvXtMj7oVLb3q8pllSmVMmzoHUuF jBv7B9/SkYu/8o25IMmcpSBhTUgUrYXy44Nkw=
Sender: [email protected]
Mal,

My "dreamers band" NoV has been with OFCOM since mid March. I chased it again last week. The hold-up is the Met Office, who have to vet sub-9kHz non-military applications. The men at OFCOM seem very keen to support these applications.

In the meantime I'm experimenting with local induction and conduction at 1-9kHz using 4W. This is quite useful as I've been playing with various ideas for loops and receivers. I'm no expert and I'm probably rediscovering things that people knew long ago. Still, it keeps me out of mischief and I'm enjoying it.

When I have the RX system optimised listening "by ear" I intend to try my PC out in the fields with QRSS or WSPR to extend range. Best DX is 0.35kms so far - only 899kms short of Stefan's best DX, hi. When TXing with grounded electrodes I found that a loop works better at the far end than grounded electrodes. I also suspect the distance is effected by soil moisture between the probes at the TX end (size of the underground loop?) as on Monday I could hear my signals further than today and everything else was unchanged.

I've yet to try a voltage probe RX at sub-9kHz. The 80cm loop does seem to be useful as one can null mains hum and other noise sources. Close to houses and overhead cables the mains hum fog is appalling, but this drops very rapidly I've found as one moves away into open fields. Then the issue is electric fences (I think) pulsing away.

73s
Roger G3XBM