VLF: Outdoor test for different places for active E-field antennas for V

To: [email protected]
Subject: VLF: Outdoor test for different places for active E-field antennas for VLF
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 20:48:13 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Dear group,

Today i checked 3 different places for my VLF grabber antenna. The currently used antenna was not touched. I used a second antenna that uses a fiber optic cable + battery that totally decouples the antenna from the PC (noise!). The first time i cheked the QTH in the 7th floor of the institute. The signal was 20 dB stronger and all local QRM lines are gone!

I created a report with many photos and spectrograms to see the difference. First it was thought to be just a notice for me but due to the impressing difference of the received signals i want to share it to other OMs who are working with active E field antennas. Sorry, it is in german language but perhaps you can use a online translator, if you are not german and interested ;-) There are some OMs planning to built an active antenna for VLF and some who have problems or are sceptic about these fiber optic cables. Also some are afraid with antennas connected to the PC, when thunder storms occurr. There, the fiber optic cable is surely a good way to do it, we know. So if you want to take a look, look here: http://www.iup.uni-heidelberg.de/schaefer_vlf/Vergleichstest_Antennenstandorte_UNI_HD.pdf

Wish you a nice weekend and better WX than here ;-)

Stefan/DK7FC