VLF: 8.97kHz - Near field and radiated signals, and all the nice experim

To: [email protected]
Subject: VLF: 8.97kHz - Near field and radiated signals, and all the nice experiments :-)
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 18:26:54 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Jacek, very interesting!
So, it is worth to do a test with a large earth electrode antenna and moderate power (100W...500W) and a E field antenna. I would give a loop antenna a try too, as long as it is a quiet location. With such antennas (without HV and space limitations) one could do some nice long time tests!

Horst, go out! (hi).

Maybe there can be reached much more than we all currently belive. It's time that someone tries that :-)
Will be interesting results.

Today i improved my 2nd grabber very very much. The IM is gone and DHO38 apperas with up to 40dB above noise (with NB). The band is almost clean of local QRM lines, at least in the 8,97+-0,02 kHz sector. All in all it is the best S/N i reached until now at this location in the 7th floor. I will go on improving but now it makes sense to do a test transmission from that 1,8km distanced QTH :-) Maybe i will do that this evening (depending on the WX) :-) The improvement is caused by a series resistor between wire and gate of the first stage (1MOhm). TNX to Ha-Jo, DJ1ZB for the conviction! The R forms a low pass filter together with the gate capacity (-3dB @ abt 50 kHz). Thus, the strong LF and MF broadcast signals are well attenuated, as it seems. I am interested what happens in the night, when QRM goes down and the LF/MF DX window opens. The grabber2 is still available at http://www.iup.uni-heidelberg.de/schaefer_vlf/DK7FC_VLF_Grabber2.html

Dear dreamers, wish you fun and motivation for your tests :-)

73, Stefan/DK7FC