AW: R: VLF: 4th VLF experiment by DK7FC/p

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: AW: R: VLF: 4th VLF experiment by DK7FC/p
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 18:57:20 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Dear LF group,

Thank you very much for your participation on my todays experiment!! Congrats
to all receiving stations! Very well done since my signal was rather weak
today:-)
There are coming up more and more stations who seem to be very well RX
equipped, even on such low frequencies AND such weak signals. :-)

Thanks Paul for the web site with the grabber compilation! This is very nice to
watch and challenging for me to generate some readable letters there!
Caselle(>1400km) should be a realistic goal in the next weeks, with more ERP...

Also tnx for the resonance here on the reflector! This is an important part to
keep the VLF interest alive, including my interest (since there are no QSOs yet
;-) ).

I was sad that some problems occurred yesterday. Normally each experiment has
to be better than the last ;-) but the 600W PA isn't finished yet due to some
problems with the FETs. So i had to use the "old" PA. Today the resonances
between generator and SMPS were nerving and occurred almost the whole time. So
i even had to make QRP, just about 200W (average). So i am happy that someone
received my signal at all. And there are many stations, i didn't expect that,
so the sadness is gone ;-)

It took a long time to check for optimal power output due to the generator
resonance. Thus i transmitted a long dash on 8970,0 with some breaks within the
transmission. Later, the first rain occurred, like reported by Markus (TNX !).
After a while the rain was gone and the coil dry (due to the wind it gets dry
relatively quickly), then i started to transmit "VLF" in DFCW-600, that was the
idea for today but i had to stop after some minutes due to upcoming rain. This
goes on and on and so i decieded to bring the experiment to an end after some
hours.
But never mind. If we look back to the last experiments, they were very
successful. Today even new stations received the signal.
I run a copper tube into the earth, about 1m long, with a wire soldered on the
top, to connect a radial cable. But it couldn't check the decrease of the earth
losses due to the rain. So maybe next time i will reach more antenna current
with the same power.
The next activity will be done with the new PA since the speed oscillation of
the generator is not a good way to operate this system...

The next time i will prepare the experiment better, not working until 0 UTC and
so on ;-) Also the PA (almost finished) and new system parts should not be
finished in the night before operation...

So, cu in the next experiment and agn tnx for your participation!

73, Stefan/DK7FC