Re: LF: Re: Re: E-Field Probe calibration question

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Re: E-Field Probe calibration question
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 20:58:25 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlemail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:received:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=nBVV6ZplQ5nsj3JoQM0pTVOthQSJwGGydWjQhsbhumU=; b=XbXK54EjrZr8K8f2AyMwn8c5AfHrR+tL7Shlyn5D3SHGg2DMRS5JjtvfiOaUYFbVg2 SV0zTrrpkJbUVbqzTUKm9JpQKsaG1VOhh92F1MLWHaVEZUpNdwcH4Xzrkd1I8WFYK5OA 2vTG9J/yc7gvoDcIOU7gOCRcgRwcvOGLoCYXQ=
Sender: [email protected]
On the basis of two measurements out in the field - the results suggests the voltage being picked up is slightly more than the effective length as stated, but resukts for such a quick first approxiomation are in teh right region:

At two /P monitoring sites at distances of 3.5 and 14km, the measured power was calculated back to a field strength using the quoted antenna factor, then this E field was related to ERP using the standard equation.

At 3.5km the ERP worked out at around 200mW which isn't too far from what I thought it was from Rloss / Rrad calculations.   BUT, the Rx was surrounded by trees and a power cable close by, so could reasonably be expected to be lower than it should be.

The second site was in the middle of flat land, at the top of a Hill   (Lane End Down for those microwavers on this reflector), where there were virtually no local screening.    ERP calculated back to 900mW.  This result is too high, suggesting the E-Field probe antenna is picking up more signal than it ought to.    I need to make some more measurements further afield, and to compare with a loop before coming to any conclusion - but an afternoon pleasently spent getting a measurement in the right region at least.