LF: VLF_8.79 kHz_grounding systems

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: VLF_8.79 kHz_grounding systems
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:32:34 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Ok Alan, but what is the difference between a ground stake and the alu foil,
when talking about the resistive losses? That would be also a poor quality
ohmic connection, isn't it? And think about how many meters of stake you need
if you want to have the same C that will be achieved by 5m*30cm Alu foil? How
much time and work for a short test.

Perhaps you know my /p radial for 137kHz: It is a simple copper plate of
0,2m*25m, so 5m^2. With that configuration i reach <30 Ohm overall losses. My
coil losses are 13 Ohm, radiation resistance is 0,8 Ohm, wire losses abt 1 Ohm
and soil conductivity abt 6mS. This radial is just rolled out on a stony field
on the hill, 350m ASL  (see my picture @ qrz.com). While others bury 100s of m
of cable and run 10s of meters of earth rods into the ground i achieve earth
losses of less than 15 Ohm with just such a plate. In /p i do not have the
nerves and time to roll out 100s of m of radials so i was happy to find, that
this a good solution too. In my theory, it is necessary to get a good
connection to the ground by a high coupling capacity and that means a high area
metallic electrode close above ground. Although the area is so much
concentrated at the feed point, the results are so good. So i expect that this
may be a good solution on VLF as well.
Trying a cheep alu foil for the household, less than 2EUR for 30m*0,3m should
be worth for everyone to try if earth losses could be decreased :-) Almost no
money and/or time is needed :-)

73, Stefan