Re: LF: DATA

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: DATA
From: Roger Lapthorn <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:38:06 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=NHuh44ai00Ensi+hy/vbwHcW0iQz0GuRZ3HOAJjz6VM=; b=KUonewdFtz+Qg0MMo8dmhvQTwp1TH4ZpoaWkoPZOW1OowZV/jvughY5haRKFsui8LW ke7N7X9jR0rX5RKB7ZTvYWmI672sATxFsThSAIaLeIfEuiOk0YUC41iq38614X32GjVe D2k5hggGSqWMoSJxkJ4JWZgtaWoApqEQFMDao=
Sender: [email protected]
Mal,

G7NKS has largely echoed my views on your email.

Yes, HF conditions have been getting better. VK9 was worked on 10m from the UK today (on CW and not by me). I was able to decode the 1W WSPR signals on 10m from V53ARC (running just 1W) this morning and from FR1GZ (10W) yesterday. WSPR is hugely helpful in propagation testing on the higher HF bands and does not need much power. There is lots of WSPR activity on HF, although more on 10m would be useful to help seek out fleeting openings. PSK31 is widely used of course.

Regarding <9kHz, clearly it is very unlikely any great distances will be spanned, but there is much that can be learned from such experiments. I have experimented with this in the past and hope to do so again soon, but using the best weak signal techniques this time.

Your remarks about 500kHz "appliance operators" are not helpful.  However, it's a free country and you're entitled to express your views, even if we choose to differ.

73s
Roger G3XBM