RE: LF: VLF_8.79 kHz

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: VLF_8.79 kHz
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 00:12:03 +0100
Accept-language: nl-NL, nl-BE
Acceptlanguage: nl-NL, nl-BE
Sender: [email protected]
Pete,

what about putting a large (1..10nF) cap from the antenna base to ground ?
It would reduce the required inductance with a factor 10 to 100 and at the same time transform the high loss resistance (I gues 1kOhm or more) to a more convenient value.
Of course the cap needs to handle the high antenna voltage, so power should be more modest than 780 Watt.
A ready available source of HV caps is RG8 / RG213 or similiar coax cable that can handle many kV's. At 101pF/m you would 10 to 100m cable.

73, Rik